The creator's user manual for you!

Monday, September 29, 2008

Misconceptions about reading Gita.

There are numerous misconceptions and superstitions about reading The Gita. The following are a few examples.

1.It must be read only after taking bath, wearing clean clothes and applying talcum powder on the face.
2.The Gita is only for the old. Which is as stupid as saying, you must start living only three days before your death.
3. Youngsters who read The Gita will become monks.
4.Those who indulge in sensual pleasures must not read it. This is like saying those who drive the car too fast must not wear seat belts.
5.Newly married couple should stay exactly 108 feet away from it.
6.You must read it only in the Pooja room.
7.Those who eat non-vegetarian food should not touch it.
8.You can read it only if you know Sanskrit, or only if you are a brahmin.

There are many more such misconceptions.

I've seen people react funnily towards The Gita.

After reading The Gita for the first time I felt inspired and confident. I wanted to tell this to my dad so that he'll feel reassured about my future performances. I said, "Dad I've read around 12 chapters from The Gita." He looked at me as though I said that I had a fever, 105 degree Fahrenheit.

Once I gifted the Tamil version of Gita by poet Vali to one of my seniors at work a few days after his marriage. He received the wrapped gift with the best smile possible. The next day when i saw him he looked away. I thought may be he had something else in his mind. I went close to him and smiled. He stared at me as though he was trying to collect his body heat, send it through his eyes and burn me down. I really couldn't understand what happened. Later he told my friend that I had gifted him The Gita. He had told, "What does he think? Am I getting married and preparing for my honeymoon or am I taking Sannyasa and going to Kasi." ( Refer to point 5)

I've also met a brahmin who condemned me for claiming to have read and understood The Gita. (I am not holding any grudge against brahmins. Many brahmins have helped me too)

9 comments:

Manivannan Sadasivam said...

laudable post anna. Really humourous and thoughtful. i think you've and 're clearing the air before taking off... good. i also loved the other posts.

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thanks mani.

Kartz said...

Heh heh heh... Hilarious.

Would like you to read this and share your thoughts.
http://kartzonline.blogspot.com/2008/09/heinous-misinterpretation.html

Peace.

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thanks Kartz. :)

Kavinaya said...

//He looked at me as though I said that I had a fever, 105 degree Fahrenheit.//

:)) If you ever say you are interested in spirituality, that is the look you'd get - especially I must say, at your age :)

But I am proud of you Ramesh. Keep it up. BTW, your English is excellent!

ramesh sadasivam said...

That's the way people are :). Thanks Kavinaya.

lakshmi said...

so many misconceptions............if we go on to live in that pattern of life we end up achieving nothing I suppose
nice post

Rajesh said...

Hi Ramesh, Excellent post.

I think, in our religion we are fundamentally wrong in spreading the vedas and upanishads. People are telling they are holy books but they didn't reached the commong people unlike kuran and bible for muslims and christians.

We should take some extra efforts to meke our vedas and upanishads reach the common people.

Do you have any idea? Tell me I will also join with you. I'm in Chennai.

ramesh sadasivam said...

Hello Ramya,

Welcome to my blog. Thanks for your comment. Yeah it's true Hindu Scriptures have not reached the common man as much as Bible or Quran.

As of now I am practicing what I've learnt. Once I get some maturity I think we can work on taking our scriptures to the common man. Like Ramakrishna says, our message will be accepted by the common man only when we are qualified and have the Lord's orders to do the preaching.

Anyway, if you have any ideas you can share with me and I will do my best to help. :)