The creator's user manual for you!

Friday, October 17, 2008

ABOUT THE STUDENT

Arjuna was the lucky soul to whom The Gita was revealed. What makes Arjuna qualify to receive this divine message? Why not some one else?

It was Yudhistra who was known for his righteousness.
It was Karna who was known for his generosity.
It were Nagula and Sahadeva who were well versed with the Vedas and other holy scriptures.
Bhima was a greater devotee to both Krishna and Shiva than Arjuna. There are many stories where Arjuna was made to realize the value of Bhima's humble devotion.
Arjuna hadn't maintained any celibacy like his grandfather Bhishma.

Apart from them there were also a number of great souls who excelled both in 'penance' and in 'devotion.' Leaving all those exalted souls, Krishna chose Arjuna to deliver this divine secret. Why?

The answer is there in The Gita itself.

Krishna says, "Arjuna, fight this war. If you win, the kingdom is yours and you will enjoy all the pleasures in the world that a King would enjoy. Even if you loose you will be in heaven for doing your duty and giving up your life for a noble cause."

Arjuna says, "Krishna I don't want to have a kingdom nor any pleasures of this world nor a place in heaven that would come to me by killing my own kith and kin."

I think this was the quality in Arjuna which made him qualify to receive this Holy message on behalf of mankind from the creator. Not that he did not want any wealth, comfort or luxury.He did not want them at the cost of killing his own fellow men.

Like in the poem ABOU BEN ADHEM by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

"What writest thou?' asked Abou
The angel said, "The names of those who love the Lord"
"And is mine one?" said Abou.
"Nay, not so," Replied the angel.
Abou spoke low," I pray thee, then, Write me as one who love his fellow men."
The angel wrote and vanished. The next night it came again
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed
And lo, Ben Adhem's name led all the rest!

A similar incident happens in the life of Sri Ramanujar, a great devotee of Lord Krishna.

It so happened that Sri Ramanujar's Guru gave him the mantra, "Om Namo Narayanaya" and told him not to chant it in front of low caste people. The reason the teacher gave was that, this mantra was most purifying and even those who hear it will reach the abode of God Almighty. But the one who chants it in such a way that the low caste can hear will end up in hell.

Sri Ramanuja climbed up to the top of a temple. Called each and every individual in the village and screamed the Mantra at the top of his voice so that as many people can hear him.

The Guru was quite annoyed with his act and asked him, "Did I not tell you that you will go to hell if you do this? Don't you have faith in my words?"

Sri Ramanuja said, "I do have faith in your words sir. I thought, if I could send these many people to heaven, then me going to hell would be a very small price to pay."

Later the Guru himself surrendered to Sri Ramanuja and became his disciple.

I think this is what makes one qualify to read The Gita.

14 comments:

Manivannan Sadasivam said...

That's a very thoughtful explanation 'na.

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thanks mani. :)

Kavinaya said...

nice explanation. thnx Ramesh. and beautiful picture!

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thanks Kavinaya.

NAVAL LANGA said...

SHRI RAMESH SADASIVAM

Jai shree Krishana,

I have just gone through some of your writings. I would like to read more.

Naval Langa

ramesh sadasivam said...

Hello Sir,
Jai Shri Krishna.
I am extremely happy to hear from you that you like to read more of my writings. I was busy with some other work, so I've been postponing blogging. I hope to get back soon.

Thank you sir.

AutoDT said...

A very inspiring and spiritual blog...

Namaste

Cyrus

ramesh sadasivam said...

Hi Cyrus, Welcome to my blog.

AMIT said...

Very good explanation.

Rum Bookmark

ramesh sadasivam said...

Hi Amith,

Thanks. It is quiet sometime i updated this blog. I will start soon.

lakshmi said...

very nice Ramesh
and I love the poem a lot

நாடி நாடி நரசிங்கா! said...

its posible you write tamil. any site is there tamil bhagavat geeta

ramesh sadasivam said...

Dear Rajesh, I will try to write. Time is the problem ... but i will try, definitely. :)

Unknown said...

We are pleased to see your blog as well as pictures so wonderfully soulfull. Infact we are based in Chennai and coming up with an interactive and aaradhana portal on Sri Ram Bhakth Hanuman.
Kindly get in touch with us at your earliest convenience so that we can work along on some divine pretext. Thanking you
Raj.J
srbh.portal@gmail.com